U- Create
Sac State Installation Class Performance
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Date: April 4th,2019
Venues:
Axis Gallery 625 S Street, 95811
Beatnik Studios: 723 S Street , 95811
Verge Center for the Arts: 625 S Street. 95811
In April I had a chance to attend U - Create hosted by local galleries around town, featuring student artists from Sacramento State. My main motivation to go was the sculpture performance some friends of mine were partaking in for their installation art class. I was not disappointed when I showed up for the installation. The performance was held in the parking lot of Beatnik studios.
 |
| Sculpture Installation performance |
The beginning of the performance consisted of the artists gathering around in a circle where each individual artist created their own art piece performance and acted it out. Unfortunately I came a little late to the party; so I only saw the end of the performance. As I approached the crowd I was a bit confused as to what was going on. It was very quiet and the performers were in a circle performing some sort of ritualistic ceremony with this tie dye canopy they created.
 |
Cloth Release
I was very inspired by all of the uniqueness each person put into their own station and how it all came together to become something bigger. The installation finale included each artist pulling these cloth pieces down and releasing them one by one into each others arms. Professor Andrew Connely then began to call the audience over and request that everyone grab a piece of cloth and take it with them home. I thought this was such a beautiful idea; sharing an artistic experience with others and then turning that experience itself into art. It seemed that the intent behind their actions became more of the art than the visual aspect and I found that very valuable and enjoyable as a viewer.
|
As I walked around grabbing pieces of cloth and making new outfits; I talked to a friend of mine; Heather who had a station in this installation. Each station had a unique theme to it and heathers theme was more mystical and adventurous. I was really drawn to the aura her station emitted, I felt really calm at it. The artist set it up to where they had a box of pieces of paper and each contained songs that meant a lot to her. The viewer would pick a song from the box and the artist would play it for them and listen to it with them and then ask them how it made them feel after. I thought it was a awesome way to connect with people and to hear new music you would not actually listen to if you weren't exposed to it. I also enjoyed the element of surpise and randomness; it felt like Christmas. Shot
 |
| Song Choice |
out to the Sac State installation class for putting all their hard work and passion into this, it really showed.
 |
Picture With the Artist - Heather
Selfie Becoming the Art Piece
|
No comments:
Post a Comment